Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Engrish and 28 weeks later




Photo: Just the funniest damned thing I've seen in ages, it's Engrish's photo of the day. If I saw this on a port-a-potty I think I'd probably have relieved myself before getting the chance to get inside.



Photo: One of the best ad posters for a movie I've seen for a while.

Movie review: 28 Weeks Later

I wasn't as huge a fan of the precursor to this movie, 28 days later...at least I was until the last 40 minutes. I kept thinking of a better way to do this movie, a better way to capture humans at their best/worst...

SPOILER ALERT - I will spoil the movie if you haven't seen it yet.

Well 28 weeks later captured just what I would have done in the first movie. I was pleasantly surprised that they for once got quite a lot right for a movie in the horror genre. Things that surprised me about this movie in a positive way:

1) The military. Unlike most movies where the military plays a central role, this movie captures soldiers acting like professional soldiers. I can't stress how important this is in movies like this to me...it creates a base of realism in a situation that is unrealistic (to a degree), which allows you to immerse yourself into that world. The doctrines they use are realistic, the weapons they use are correct for the role they fill, and there are no 2000 round clip guns like in most action movies. Someone did their homework here.

2) The people. Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (director) did a great job of allowing the characters to be actual people. I bought all the characters, from the anonymous guy getting eaten alive to the main characters. They weren't too rough or too polished.

3) The 'zombies'. I know, they aren't zombies but they might as well be. That being said, in this movie there's no attempt (other than the dad) to try and humanize them. They're pretty much animals, which I think is a social commentary that I agree with about the human race. They come at you fast, they attack everything, like a wave of human 'progression'.

4) The effects. There wasn't the usual overkill...just good 'ol blood and guts (and a tasty helicopter scene with a major nod to the original 'Dawn of the Dead').

5) Creepiness. The stadium scene was just damned creepy. Bravo to the director for making this scene play itself out the way it did.

If you like fast paced zombie flicks, this one ranks near the top. I give it four severed heads out of 5.



Photo: Is this overkill? I think not.

5 comments:

Robert said...

I sorta prefer intestines being eaten by the zombies. Where there any intestine eating zombie scenes? Or, should it be zombie eating intestine scenes? The difference in the phrasing is subtle but important. If I phrase my question accurately, it's a good question for a zombie horror flick....if I've erred....it's attack of the Killer Tomatoes again. Only this time it's attack of the Killer Intestines. Which, upon further reflection, would be a good thing for humanity since these intestines eat zombies. But what a stupid plot for a movie.

Paul said...

I'm sorry Robert, this movie just isn't for you. You should look further into the late films of the Czech director "Flaklakiva Rottiva Intestinus ". His films highlight the underground zombie intestine-eating fetish quite frequently.

I think your movie has a lot of promise, it highlights by metaphor the often overlooked social condition of the depressed self-deprecating zombie in a mega-consumer post-nuclear world. I think Disney would be interested in such a plot for their next Olsen Twins movie...

Robert said...

You're so dead on. "Flaklakiva..." is one of my favs. But are you familiar with the truly great director, Jiří Trnka. His vision of the zombie puppet future is well displayed in his masterpiece "Bez citu živá mrtvola loutka." This involve little known actor at the time....you may have heard of him.....Keanu Reeves. It was easily his finest performance; sadly he didn't have a speaking role, and just worked the puppet named "Desmodus" but his mastery with puppetry emotion clearly laid the groundwork for his acting career, culminating in is oft-misunderstood performance in Dracula. A clear circle of life as he was able to work utilzing his knowledge of the Czech Republic, even though this takes place in Romania. But they're pretty much the same.

Paul said...

...you scare me...

Robert said...

My work, here, is done.