Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Surgery

Jen went under the knife this morning to create a fistula for dialysis. She is doing fine, in pain but recovering nicely.

This access should allow easier access for dialysis, and reduced chance of infection. It allows her to lead a more normal routine when she comes home, without worrying about having tubes and an open port in her chest.

Overall she has been better in the past couple of days than in any that I can recall for the last 7 months. I am very hopeful that she is on the road to coming home soon. Once she is finished with the current IV antibiotic regime she will be assessed for just that.

If she continues to improve then the next steps will probably be surgical. Among the surgeries still being looked into are the gastric pacemaker, gastric bypass, and/or heart surgery to remove the fungal infection.

1 comment:

Coley said...

Paul, I'm so glad you write these updates. I think about you two often and here's hoping the slow yet steady improvement continues.
I'm back at work, so can't visit as often as I'd like, but please tell Jen Hello, and I'm thinking of her for me?