Tuesday, November 20, 2007

...


Photo: The car that I would love to get for J!

This morning J's nephrologist informed her that her kidneys need to be 'killed off' in order to try and get her system back in order. I'm more than a little worried and want to get a second opinion before they try this. After all, it's not like you can go back once they go down this road. After her kidneys are 'dead' they will try to get her healthy enough to get the pancreas/kidney transplant. The problem is that there is no real guarantee (plan anyone????) that she will get that healthy once her kidneys are gone.

Now everything I've read regarding the surgery has been positive, but it still scares the crap out of me.

There are so many problems...I'm hearing few solutions.

On an up note J's old office mates sent her a very nice gift box filled with some of her old trinkets from her work space and a few gifts. She loved it, it was a mini-Christmas for her.

3 comments:

Miss Jessica said...

kristine and i were in denver so we missed the care package from work, but we have gifties coming too! (including a card we bought in hawaii.) please tell jen we love her and talk about her all the time.

Unknown said...

Dang - I'm with you on the second opinion, but the fact is her kidneys aren't doing her much good now, and there's little chance they'll get a whole lot better. I still don't understand why they need to be "killed," though -- so they lose all functionality and stop secreting toxins into her system? She'll still need dialysis regardless, so I'm not sure what the point is. I guess if it bumps her up on the transplant list, that's a good thing. I'm all for anything that will actually get her BETTER. And it sounds like she's at least doing a little better since I saw her last, so I'm thinking positive thoughts.

Paul said...

Jessica, will do. It's good to know that people still think of her even thought she hasn't seen them in so long.

Kak, apparently J and I misunderstood, that procedure is a last resort option that they are not pursuing yet. I agree that she needs any sort of treatment to push her in a positive direction, but I just want to make sure it's the right one.