Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Dogs are the masters of all that smells


Photo: Master Doga instructs new pupils in the way of 'Hypoglycemia'.

So Jen had a nurse introduce her to 2 diabetic patients that have dogs that can 'sniff out' an episode of hypoglycemia. She recommends that we look into getting Jen a 'Diabetic Dog' as a helper when she goes home. I'm all for it, and I'm sure Bjorb the cat will love having another gigantic hair-shedding companion.

These dogs are mostly 'rejects' from blind guide-dog schools. The reasons they were rejected are minor, usually if a dog shows reluctance to enter elevators, or walk in water. The dogs are then trained to recognize the subtle smell that is associated with hypoglycemic episodes. When these dogs detect one of these episodes, they alert the owner by gently tugging on a necklace that the person wears, and also licking the face. The dogs are not ready for service until they dosplay at least a 90% accuracy rating. The organization that started this is down the road from us, Dogs For Diabetics.

I contacted them and they are willing to help, but won't be able to start until Jen is released from the hospital. I think it'll be a great thing, great companionship and a great alert system in one!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Emma says: "I think the Yoda dog is funny." Kak says: "When Jennie gets her diabetic dog, she needs to dress him up as Yoda."

Paul said...

Oh we will...we have yet to dress up Bob the cat as a hot dog for halloween...

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

And all my new dog does is flop on his back every time you walk by in hopes you'll rub his belly.
Seems like I should at least get him trained to push my wheelchair.

Paul said...

"And all my new dog does is flop on his back every time you walk by in hopes you'll rub his belly."

Sounds exactly like my cat.

What kind of dog?